Where to get your deer processed
Hey, folks: If you are looking for a place to process your deer this season, look no further. The Duluth News Tribune has compiled a list of Northland venison processors just for you, in alphabetical order!
• The Bear's Den, 5231 Highway 33, Saginaw. Complete processing (skinned, quartered, cut, ground, including vacuum-sealing). Call 218-729-6056 or 218-591-1677.
• The Brat Barn, 3872 Okerstrom Road, Hermantown. We do not skin or debone but will process wild game into anything and guarantee your own meat back. Six pound minimum and single batches allows us to alter any and all products and flavors to your liking. Cryovac sealed. Cost is based on finished weight. For pricing, visit thebratbarn.com. Call Dan at 218-590-2456 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Carlton Meat and Grocery, 500 Third St., Carlton. Processes all types of big game. Offers full line of sausage making and smoked meats. Has refrigeration to store. Call 218-384-9910 or 218-348-7308.
• Cole Cuts, 4040 Normanna Rd., Duluth. Deer processing includes skinning, cutting, grinding, wrapping and freezing. Sausage available. Custom cutters. Call 218-391-1619.
• Eveleth Country Foods IGA, 602 Fayal Rd. Twenty varieties of deer sausage, polish, Thuringer and sticks are available. Price is $3-$4.50 per pound when product is finished. Call 218-744-4350.
• Gamache and Sons Deer Processing, 10 Farmstead Rd., Esko. Skinning, deboning, grinding and wrapping. Cost: $90. Licensed to accept deer donations for the food shelf through the state of Minnesota. Rifle season hours: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Call 218-878-1077.
• Hunter's Choice Deer Processing, 2234 Pershing St., Piedmont Heights area of Duluth. Cut, ground and freezer wrapped. Cut to your request. What you bring in is what you take home. Cost: $80. Call 218-391-0468.
• Hursh Meat Processing, 10083 E. Oak Rd., Poplar. Skin, debone, cut, grind and vacuum seal for $85. Venison jerky sausage, smoked hinds, snack sticks, venison bacon, meatloaf and more, for extra fee. Licensed to accept deer donations for the food shelf through the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. Minnesota deer welcome. Call 715-364-6855 or 218-393-1887.
• Paul's Market and Catering, 623 Garfield St., Eveleth. Venison trimmings made into a variety of sausages. Call 218-744-1244.
• Pray's Deer Processing, 7566 Barrs Lake Rd., Duluth. Clean, boneless cuts; includes grinding, plastic and freezer-wrapped. Cost: $85 per deer; sausage extra. Call 218-391-3791.
• Proctor Milkhouse, 304 Third Ave., Proctor. Over 80 varieties of sausage available. You get your own venison back. Fresh ground, 69-79 cents per pound; mixed with pork butt, $1.59 to $2.29 per pound; potato sausage available. All sausage is Cryovac packed. Call 218-624-0743.
• Russ Kendall's Smoke House, 149 Scenic Highway 61, Knife River. Variety of fresh and smoked sausages. Trimmings only. Summer sausage, brats, smoked sausage, jalapeno and cheese sticks and salami. Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily. Call 218-834-5995 for more information.
• Stokke's Deer Processing. Four locations for drop off and pick up: Adolph Store, 3710 Midway Rd., Hermantown, 218-624-9680, drop off between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.; Stokke's Plant, 4019 Canosia Rd., Cloquet, 218-729-7156, drop off from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Skin, cut, debone, process and vacuum sealed, $100; Trim only to Mobil Mart, 130 S. Boundary Ave., Proctor, 218-628-3617; and Lakewood One-Stop, 4942 Jean Duluth Rd., Duluth, 218-525-4795. A large variety of brats, sausage and snack sticks. Finished product is frozen and vacuum sealed.
• Superior Meats, 6301 Tower Ave., Superior. Venison trimmings made into sausages, jerky, bacon and snack sticks. More than 40 varieties and award winning sausages. Call 715-394-4431.
• TJ's Country Corner, downtown Mahtowa. Large variety of fresh and smoked sausage made from your trimmings. Menus mailed upon request. Guaranteed to get your own meat back. Hours: 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily. Call 218-389-6257.
• Wrazidlo's Old World Meats, 226 N. Basswood, Duluth. Sixty varieties of sausage from breakfast sausage to smoked brats, summer sausage, salami and venison sticks. Deers are cut up on day of delivery with next-day processing. Cost: $1.50-$5 per pound. Hours: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Call 218-722-2333.