Sign up now for summer camps
Learn something new and stay busy this summer.
Barnum Community Ed's summer brochure was posted on its website on May 14.
Programs include: band lessons, T-ball, instructional ball, soccer, karate, fifth and sixth grade football, girls basketball camp, swimming lessons at Proctor, driver's education, American Girl Doll Summer Camp, Summer Reads, tutoring and an all-ages summer reading program.
Free family fun nights scheduled
The Barnum early childhood program also has some free family nights scheduled:
- On Wednesday, June 9, Sports/Active Night will be held at the Barnum Elementary playground.
- On Wednesday, July 14, Campfire Night will be held at the Barnum City Park, complete with hotdogs and s’mores over the fire.
- On Wednesday, Aug. 11, meet us at TJ’s in Mahtowa to enjoy the bike trail and the playground. Don’t forget some money to buy some ice cream.
Events are all 5:30-7 p.m. and free, but we’d like you to register so we can estimate materials and staff.
Grab & Go Bins
Grab & Go Bins are available for check out from Thursday-Monday. Cost is $15 per bin and includes almost everything needed for the projects. Keep what you make, then return the bin. A shopping list of items needed is taped to the lid of the bin. Projects include children's jewelry, acrylic art, and "Frozen" movie marathon.
Tim Magnuson run goes virtual
Back this year is the 2021 Tim Magnuson Memorial Virtual Fun Run. Run, walk, bike, inline skate or crawl while helping support ALS in remembrance of a great man.
Cost is $10 per person or $20 per person if you want a T-shirt. Participate any day the week of June 7-11. Pick your time and location to run a 1K, 5K or 10K at your convenience.
Deadline to order for T-shirts is June 1. Any registrants after June 1 won't get a shirt; I will not be ordering extras. Shirts can be picked up at the Barnum Elementary School in the Bomber Club (Youth Center) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Wednesday, June 9, through Friday, June 11. Register online or call the office.
Visit Carlton Community Education online to sign up for summer camps. Go to carlton.k12.mn.us , click on the three lines at top right, and choose “parents/community,” then “community education.” Grades shown are for next school year.
- Elementary Basketball Skills Camp June 14, 17, 18, 2021 for K-4th grade, boys and girls. $30. Deadline: May 28.
- STEM Camp Jr. June 15-16, 2021 for grades 1-3. $40. Deadline: May 21.
- Learning Camp 2021 August 3-6, 2021 for grades 1-5. $80. Deadline: June 4.
To get more information or to register for any of the classes above, please contact Barnum Community Education: 218-389-0108, email@example.com or at isd91.org/community-education .
Visit isd94.org and click on "community education" for more information about these activities and more.
- Sign up for the "Tour de Cloquet" virtual challenge, which runs June 1-Aug. 31. Exercise the equivalent of 100 miles of streets in Cloquet.
- The Pine Valley Single Track Mountain Bike Trail includes 2.3 miles of trail. The trail head is at the parking area for the Pine Valley Chalet.
- Swim camp for boys and girls. Start dates include June 22 for three days a week, $48. Or start July 12 four days a week for $96. Dive clinics, family swim and more are on the calendar, too.
- Karate and tennis lessons start in July, at prices $45-65.
"Community Education Corner," published weekly in the Pine Journal, features news from Community Education programs in Carlton County.