Question: I recently moved to Minnesota, where and I am living with a cousin of mine. I am writing to you concerning driving legally within the state. Back in my native country, Kenya, I am licensed to drive, and currently, I have that license with me. I also obtained an international driving permit from the necessary licensing body back in Kenya.

Are these documents sufficient to allow me to drive within the state of Minnesota before I am able to acquire the state's driving license? Thank you for your time and consideration.

Answer: If you are visiting from another country with a valid driver's license from your home country, you are not required to get a Minnesota license, and can operate a vehicle legally in our state.

Once you become a Minnesota resident, you have 60 days to get a Minnesota driver's license.

Also, many insurance companies do not honor "out-of-country licenses." Being that auto insurance is required to operate a motor vehicle, you would need to get a Minnesota driver's license or ask them about your options.

Send your questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota to or Sgt. Neil Dickenson - Minnesota State Patrol at 1131 Mesaba Ave., Duluth, MN 55811.