ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Snow buildup on gas meters could cause carbon monoxide problems

Customers with new high-efficiency furnaces and water heaters that vent through the wall (not into a chimney) should be wary of a buildup of snow or ice around the vent, according to Minnesota Energy Resources.

Customers with new high-efficiency furnaces and water heaters that vent through the wall (not into a chimney) should be wary of a buildup of snow or ice around the vent, according to Minnesota Energy Resources.

"The newer equipment provides great savings in terms of efficiency," said Ann Carlon, spokesperson for the company, "but a blocked vent could cause improper burning and could lead to an accumulation of carbon monoxide in the home."

Customers should check the outside vents just to make sure they aren't covered with snow or ice.

Carlon said near-record snowfalls throughout Minnesota coupled with the wind make conditions that could cover vents. Make sure to remove the snow and ice from vents and meters.

Customers who experience flu-like symptoms only when at home should arrange for a carbon monoxide check from their local emergency agency immediately. Carbon monoxide detectors in the home are strongly suggested, said the company.

ADVERTISEMENT

Snow and ice cause potential meter problems:

  • Minnesota Energy Resources is also asking customers to clear a path to their gas meters, to ensure the safety of the meter and to help meter readers complete their day's routes. A frozen meter could result in disruptions in energy service.
  • Customers should check to see if icicles are forming above the meters. Large icicles could cause meter damage and potential service interruption if they break and fall into meters.
What To Read Next