The Northland has faced subzero temperatures recently that can prove dangerous for those in need of shelter or heat. Below is a list of potential resources available to help:

  • Lakes and Pines Community Action Council offers emergency housing through hotel and motel stays. It also offers assistance with energy and heating bills and emergencies. Call 320-679-1800 or 800-832-6082. Visit

  • United Way of Carlton County can help connect those in need with community health and social services programs. For immediate help, call 211. Call 218-879-8404 or visit or 807 Cloquet Ave., Cloquet.

  • To contact Carlton County Human Services, call 218-879-4511.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

Carlton County does not offer an emergency warming center to the public. The nearest one is the CHUM Warming Center in Duluth. It is located at the Rainbow Center, 211 N. Third Ave. E., and will be open from 6 p.m. until 8 a.m. Monday through Saturday and 24 hours on Sunday.

The CHUM Drop-In Center, located at 125 N. First Ave. W., is also open as a warming center 24/7. Contact CHUM at 218-727-2391 or visit