Funding shortfalls to impact road work
Road construction plans in Carlton County have begun to outdistance the sources of funding. "Our funding levels are far from keeping up to the increased cost of construction," said Carlton County Transportation Director Wayne Olson, "so we have d...
Road construction plans in Carlton County have begun to outdistance the sources of funding.
"Our funding levels are far from keeping up to the increased cost of construction," said Carlton County Transportation Director Wayne Olson, "so we have delayed some of our planned work."
Olson reported the following is the status of the county's 2007 program at this time:
- County 61: The section from the Pine County line to TH 73 at Moose Lake and the section from Barnum to Highway 210 near Carlton will be rehabilitated. That process will include a "Cold-In-Place Recycle" process of the existing surface, which involves milling the surface about four inches deep to remove the majority of the pavement crack and then application of a cold remix with asphalt emulsion.
The mixture is relayed with a paving machine and allowed to cure for several days, before two layers of new blacktop are placed over the CIP material. The pavement surface will extend to provide four feet of paved shoulder, and some turn lanes will be placed at road intersections.
"We have not received final authorization to bid this project," stated Olson, "but that should happen soon. Beginning the week of April 16, our county crews will be doing some work on shoulders, preparing those for the right turn lanes so traffic will need to be aware of road work season starting."
- County 8/Center Road by Holyoke: A contract was awarded to KGM Contractors in 2006 to rebuild County 8 from Highway 23 to Holyoke, along the Center Road. A few culverts were placed last year, as well as most of the clearing was done. The contractor plans to begin May 7 with work in Holyoke and bridge replacement work is set to begin soon after that. With this beginning, the road will be closed and traffic will be detoured on CR 145, 146 and 153.
- County Road 150, Erickson Road in Thomson Township: The Midway River bridge was replaced in 2006, and the road approaches will be resurfaced this spring.
- County 7 (Big Lake Road) - Highway 33 - Doddridge Avenue in Cloquet: The plan for this work is to improve the mall entrance off Big Lake Road and provide better turning movements at the signaled intersection. Crews will also repair the Big Lake Road surface west of that location.
"There are still some design questions to be worked out," said Olson, "but that work should go ahead later this year."
Carlton County also plans to work on two busy county roads during the upcoming construction season.
- No. 113 (Brookston Road) west of Cloquet and No. 116 (Stark Rd) in Thomson Township: These will be in preparation for future blacktop, when funding allows.
- County 22, South Finn Road, west of Wright: This project would connect the previous construction out to Highway 210 and would prepare that section for blacktop. Olson stipulated this project must wait to assure that adequate funds are available before proceeding.
"Our hope is that we can at least let a contract and get work started this fall," he stated.
Anyone having further questions about these or other county road projects can contact Olson at 384-9150 or by e-mail: email@example.com .