Three departments responded to a house fire Wednesday, Dec. 11, on 84 Erickson Road, Esko. The individuals in the home were out when the call was dispatched.

The Esko Fire Department arrived at 11:32 a.m. and the fire was extinguished by 11:51 a.m.. According to Esko Fire Chief Kyle Gustafson, the fire started in an upstairs bedroom by a space heater. The room is a total loss and there is smoke damage to much of the upstairs area.

Wrenshall and Carlton fire departments brought extra tankers in case more water was needed. A drop tank for water was also set up, but not needed. It took about 300 gallons to extinguish the fire and the tankers hold about 1,300 gallons.

A short time after the structure fire call came in, a two-vehicle crash was reported in Esko. The Cloquet Area Fire District answered a mutual aid call to assist.

Temperatures were 14 degrees below zero earlier in the morning Wednesday, but reached zero degrees by noon.

It has been a busy week for the Esko Fire Department, especially Sunday, Gustafson said.

“There were non-stop auto accidents,” he said. They responded to five calls that day, including a rollover crash. Esko's firefighters are also volunteers.

“That was a lot for us,” Gustafson said. “It was a very busy day.”