The Nicholson Sellgren Auxiliary to VFW Post #2962 of Carlton is offering two $500 scholarships to local high school seniors.
The criteria for selecting the recipients are as follows:
- He or she must be a child, sibling or grandchild of a veteran of foreign wars. The veterans' eligibility must be proven with a copy of his or her discharge papers (DD214).
- He or she must have maintained a "B" average or better during high school and enclose a current transcript with their application.
- He or she must have displayed good citizenship in their school and community. Verification of activities that show citizenship must be included with their application, such as awards, honors, community service, etc.
- He or she must write a letter of application including their name, address and the college they plan to attend.
- Applicants must provide three reference letters that provide verification of academic ability and citizenship.
- Financial need will be the basis for selection in the case of multiple applications.
Application must be received by the scholarship committee on or before March 31, 2022. All application materials, including a current photo, can be sent to Cecelia Anderson, 2111 Cty Rd 4, Carlton, MN 55718. Please do not take applications to the VFW Post clubroom.
Applicants will be notified by mail if your application was accepted. Payment in the amount of $500 will be made after recipients have completed one semester of college; have maintained a "C" average or better in college; and can submit verification of enrollment for the next semester. If grades or enrollment criteria are not met, the scholarship will not be paid.