Cloquet woman charged with arson
A Cloquet woman is facing arson charges after setting fire to garbage containers outside Cloquet Middle School very early Sunday morning. Amber Rose Schadewald, 19, was charged with second-degree arson, a felony, in Sixth District Carlton County ...
A Cloquet woman is facing arson charges after setting fire to garbage containers outside Cloquet Middle School very early Sunday morning.
Amber Rose Schadewald, 19, was charged with second-degree arson, a felony, in Sixth District Carlton County Court Tuesday morning.
Cloquet Police Chief Steve Stracek said the crime wasn’t difficult to solve because Schadewald let the police know what was going on through the police department’s anonymous tipline, or Nixle.
Nixle was created specifically for local law enforcement and business agencies. It’s basically a souped-up hotline that works in two parts. The first part is the notification service, which allows the CPD to issue announcements to the public via text or email. The second part is an anonymous tip line, which allows anyone from the public to contact the police with information on a suspect or crime without giving a name.
“She self-reported through the Nixle tip line as the events unfolded,” Stracek said, adding that the defendant put her name on the tip and told police what she allegedly had done. “We went and checked it out. Then we found her at the corner where she said she was.”
According to the criminal complaint, a Cloquet police officer responded to the report of an arson fire at Cloquet Middle School at approximately 2:50 a.m. Sunday morning. Garbage/recycling cans had been set ablaze and the fire was in danger of spreading to the building itself.
The heat from the fire did break a nearby window and scorched the outside of the brick building. According to a school employee, water from the fire hoses used to put out the fire also entered the building through an air vent and caused damage to two classrooms.
Schadewald was scheduled for sentencing Wednesday in a separate case for allegedly calling in a bomb threat at the courthouse earlier this year, which was prosecuted as a felony “threat of violence.” She pleaded guilty in that case and waived her right to a jury trial on Aug. 1 but the sentencing was delayed Wednesday and the previous case will likely tag along with the new case as it makes its way through the court system.
If convicted, a second-degree arson charge can bring a maximum of 10 years and/or $20,000.