A structure fire in Mahtowa Township on Tuesday, Nov. 20, destroyed a garage and warped the siding on the house about 30 feet away. No one was injured.

The all-volunteer fire department received a call at 8:33 p.m. for a garage fire at 2691 Dusty Road.

According to Mahtowa Fire Chief Jim Fundine, Danny Johnson left his workshop in the garage and went into the house when he noticed smoke coming from the garage, where he works on small-engine repairs.

"He had two or three ATVs in the garage and his shop tools," Fundine said. "The garage was a total loss."

Carlton, Wrenshall, Barnum and Blackhoof fire departments assisted in extinguishing the blaze.

"A structure fire uses a few thousand gallons of water," Fundine said.

He noted that rural departments count on the aid of other departments to bring in water, including a water tender, a big fire truck that hauls water.

The Mahtowa Fire Department has 14 volunteers.