Northern Lights Academy Cooperative Board Minutes Friday, June 5, 2020 - 9:00 a.
Northern Lights Academy Cooperative Board Minutes
Friday, June 5, 2020 - 9:00 a.m.
Present: Superintendent, Mike McNulty, Barnum; Superintendent, Gwen Carman, Carlton; Superintendent Michael Cary, Cloquet; Superintendent, Nathan Libbon, Cromwell-Wright; Superintendent, Aaron Fischer, Esko; Superintendent, Kerry Juntunen, Hermantown; Superintendent, Bill Crandall, Lake Superior; Superintendent, John Engelking, Proctor; Special Education Director, Dena Hagen, Northern Lights Special Education Coop./NLA; Asst. Sp. Ed. Director of NLA, Barb Mackey, Northern Lights Academy Cooperative; Business Manager, Jill Morberg, Northern Lights Special Education Cooperative
Absent: Superintendent, Paul Grams, McGregor; Superintendent, Bob Indihar, Moose Lake; Superintendent, Bill Peel, Willow River; Superintendent, Kim Belcastro, Wrenshall
Guest: Billie Jo Steen, H.S. Principal, Moose Lake
Call to order
The meeting was called to order at 9:01 a.m.
Approval of Agenda
Motion made by Superintendent Juntunen an addition of the Cloquet/NLA Facility Agreement dated July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2023 and to approve the agenda. Second by Superintendent Carman. Motion carried.
Approval of Minutes
•May 8, 2020 NLA Google Hangout (Attachment A)
Motion made by Superintendent Engelking to approve the May 8, 2020 Board Meeting minutes as presented. Second by Superintendent Juntunen. Motion carried.
•Approve Payment of Bills (Attachment B)
Payment of bills totaling $35,973.89-NLSEC $29,346.68 and NLA $6,627.21
Motion made by Superintendent Cary to approve $35,973.89 in total bill payments as
presented. Second by Superintendent Carman. Motion carried.
•Addition to the Agenda - Cloquet/NLA Facility Rent Agreement, July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2023. Agreement content has not changed, continued increase of 2.5% per year, and also pre-approved in the NLA FY 21 Planning Budget.
Motion made by Superintendent Carman to approve Cloquet/NLA Facility Agreement,
July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2023. Second by Superintendent Libbon. Motion carried. Cloquet
Superintendent Cary abstained from this vote.
Directors' Report - Barb Mackey, Dena Hagen
- High attendance rate during distance learning for all but two students, including driveway visits twice by staff- delivered sensory tools, games, certificates and played lawn frisbee with students in various locations.
- Transitioned 12 students back to their home district over the course of the 2019-20 year.
- No physical holds were needed during this year for the K-3 grade students. Moving these grades to the Our Savior's location helped with the space and progress of students.
- NLA only had one restrictive procedure (hold) for the entire year.
•Student Enrollments (Attachment C)
-Currently at 34 students for Fall 2020 (full). Ms. Mackey should have more accurate numbers in August as it continues to change weekly for student enrollments.
- Ms. Mackey will provide each district with further data for the last three years on transitions, etc... further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to Ms. Mackey and her staff for another year doing an outstanding job!
Motion made by Superintendent Engelking to adjourn the meeting at 9:16 a.m. Second by
Superintendent Cary. Motion carried.
(Sept. 3, 2020)2856110