The Bookstore at Fitger's, 600 E. Superior St., offers these events. Call 218-727-9077 or go to fitgersbookstore.com.
2-4 p.m. Sept. 18: Andrew Graff signs copies of his book, "Raft of Stars."
6 p.m. Oct. 7: Book launch for Mark Munger's memoir "Duck and Cover: Things Learned Waiting for the Bomb," in Fitger's Theater of the North. Features music with Bill and Kate Isles.
Zenith Bookstore, 318 N. Central Ave., offers these events. Call 218-606-1777.
- 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 16: Chapter & Verse book club. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Chapter & Verse" in the subject line to join.
- 7 p.m. Sept. 21: Book launch for "Ward" by Ryan Vine.
- 7 p.m Oct. 14: Linda LeGarde Grover book launch of "Gichigami Hearts: Stories and Histories from Misaabekong," at the West Theater, across the street from the bookstore. Free.
Barnes & Noble, Miller Hill Mall, offers author Chad Corrie signing copies of his book, "Triumph of the Wizard King," the last book in the trilogy, 2 p.m. Oct. 30. Call 218-786-0710.
What does it take to get published? Join Lake Superior Writers on 9-11 a.m. Sept. 18, for an informative, 2-hour virtual workshop with literary publicist Krista Soukup and prize-winning author Frank Weber, who writes true crime thrillers. (Prospective attendees should be aware that Weber’s talk includes details of his work as a forensic psychologist dealing with violent crimes.) Cost is $5 for members; $15 for non-members. For more information and to register: https://lakesuperiorwriters.org/events/getting-published/ A Zoom link will be sent by email before the event. Registration deadline: Tuesday, Sept. 14.
Authors Meg Florence and Kelly Hafdahl offer these events. Their fourth book, "The Science of Serial Killers," will be released this fall. Go to horrorrewind.com for details.
- Noon Sept. 29: "How to Tell a Scary Story," Duluth Chamber of Commerce.
- 11 a.m. Sept. 30: "The Science of Serial Killers" presentation, Lake Superior College.
- 7 p.m. Oct. 8: "Scream" movie showing, Q&A, and book signing, Zeitgeist.
- 2:30 pm. Oct. 9: Twin Ports Horror Society Art & Hobby Bazaar, Zeitgeist.
Title: "Duck and Cover: Things Learned Waiting for the Bomb"
Author: Mark Munger
Release date: Oct. 1
Synopsis: A coming-of-age memoir set in Duluth during the Cold War, the book is a collection of essays chronicling one man's childhood, his family, and his time.
Cost: $20, $9.99 on Kindle
Publisher: Cloquet River Press
Title: "The Science of Serial Killers: The Truth Behind Ted Bundy, Lizzie Borden, Jack the Ripper and Other Notorious Murders of Cinematic Legend
Authors: Meg Florence and Kelly Hafdahl
Release date: Oct. 19
Synopsis: The authors present a guide to the serial killers who inspired the movies and media we all know and love. Delve into the brutal truth behind horror’s secret: many monsters portrayed on the silver screen are based on true murderers. Uncover the truth behind the real monsters of horror, answering such questions as:
- What is the science behind serial killers’ motivations like Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy?
- How did detectives discover the identities of criminals like the Boston Strangler and the BTK Strangler?
- Has science made it possible to unmask Jack the Ripper and the Zodiac Killer?
- What is the science behind female versus male serial killers?
Cost: $14.99, $10.99 on Kindle