Nicholson Sellgren Auxiliary offers two scholarships
Applications must be received by the scholarship committee on or before March 31, 2023.
CARLTON — The Nicholson Selgren Auxiliary of the VFW Post 2962 in Carlton is offering two $500 scholarships to local students.
Eligibility criteria is as follows:
- Recipients must be the son, daughter, sister, brother or grandchild of a veteran of foreign wars. The veteran's eligibility must be proven with a copy of their discharge papers (DD214);
- Must have maintained a "B" or better grade-point average during high school and must enclose a current transcript with their scholarship application;
- Must have displayed good citizenship in school and community. Verification of activities that show citizenship must be included with the application, such as awards, honors, community service, etc.;
- Must write a letter of application including their name, address and school they will be attending; and
- Must provide three reference letters to verify academic eligibility and citizenship.
Financial need will be the basis for selection if multiple applications are received.
Applications must be received by the scholarship committee on or before March 31, 2023. Applicants should send all materials, as well as a current photo of themselves, to: Cecelia Anderson, 2111 Co. Road 4, Carlton, MN 55718. Applicants should not take them to the VFW Post. The scholarship committee will inform applicants by mail if their application is accepted.
Payment in the amount of $500 will be made after the following criteria have been met:
- Recipients must complete one semester of college or trade school;
- Must have maintained a "C" or better grade-point average; and
- Must verify enrollment for the next semester.
If grades or enrollment criteria are not met, the scholarship will not be paid.