NAME: Buskala’s Jewelry & Gifts Too!
CURRENT OWNER: John and Joanne Buskala
DATE OPENED: 1881
FOUNDER: John Buskala
LOCATION: 1010 Cloquet Ave.
- Founder John Buskala immigrated to the U.S. from Finland.
- He began his jewelry business on the front porch of his home in 1881.
- The building was rebuilt after the 1918 fire.
- He was multilingual: He spoke English, Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian and Polish.
- The current owner, John Buskala, is the founder's great-grandson.
- If you hadn't figured it out yet, they share a name.
- Current owner John Buskala's grandfather spoke often about how the store's founder would translate among immigrants as they worked out a deal.
- “He was kind of a character,” John said about his great-grandfather.
- Great-grandson John Buskala is the fourth generation to own and operate the family business.