Extension hosts webinars on beef operation
The six-part series will be held throughout August.
The University of Minnesota Extension will host a six-part webinar series titled: Key Components of a Successful Beef Operation: Cow/Calf to Consumer.
The series will be held throughout August from 6-7:30 p.m. The series will focus on different aspects of raising and managing beef cattle while keeping the end consumer in mind. Farmers, 4-H participants, ag business professionals who work with farmers and those interested in beef cows are invited to attend.
- Wednesday, Aug. 12: “Methods of Pregnancy Checking” with Dr. Tony Dank, DVM; and “Preg-checking the Cowherd to Reduce the Cost of Open Cows” with Dr. Eric Mousel.
- Thursday, Aug. 13: “Body Condition Scoring Cows: How, When, & Why” and “Does Early Weaning Calves Make Sense?” with Melissa Runck; and “Assessing Nutrition Status of the Cow Herd” with Dr. Eric Mousel.
- Tuesday, Aug. 18: “Managing Forages for Fall and Winter Feeding” with Troy Salzer, Tarah Young and Emma Severns.
- Thursday, Aug. 20: “Starting Calves: What Really Matters and When to Leave Cattle Alone” with Dr. Joe Armstrong, DVM; and “Initial Days on Feed Nutrition and Implant Strategies” with Dr. Grant Crawford.
- Tuesday, Aug. 25: “Selecting the Right Animal for Butcher” with Kyle Rozeboom and Dr. Ryan Cox.
- Thursday, Aug. 27: “Keeping Beef at the Center of the Plate” with Dr. Megan Webb; and “Meet the Meat Industry Middle Man — the Main Street Butcher" and “Bridging the Farmer and Consumer Conversation” with Lindsey Loken of Blondies Butcher Shop.
Advance registration is required. Please register at z.umn.edu/2020beefseries by 5 p.m. the day before each event. People who register will receive a Zoom link after registration closes. People only have to register once and they will be registered for all subsequent webinars.
The sessions will be recorded, so if participants can't tune in live, they will don't have to worry. Recordings will be emailed at the end of the series. Anyone with questions can contact Brenda Postels at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stacey Caughey at email@example.com .
For more news from U of M Extension, visit www.extension.umn.edu/news or contact Extension Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org .