Wright-Cromwell News: Aug. 10 2017
Members of Bethany and Bethlehem Lutheran churches announce that Kristin Peterson, a wonderful guest speaker, will do the worship services Aug. 20. We know it's summer and a lot of folks are out of town or are entertaining company, but remember our local churches are always there for you, so be there for them, too.
Ann Markusen, our local freelance writer, did a wonderful article on the life of Ebba Hedin and her accomplishments. It was published in the Pine Journal (Aug. 3) and the Floodwood Forum (Aug. 4). If you haven't seen it, it is worth the trouble getting a copy. I think Ebba was the first woman to serve on the school board. What a trailblazer!
The Cromwell-Wright Public School is exploring a plan for a major facility expansion and upgrade in the near future. An informational meeting will take place at the school at 7 p.m. Sept. 13, plus a newsletter can be obtained at the school at any time if you want more information. The election will take place Nov. 7 to approve this planned expansion.
As some of you may know, my husband, Bob had a stroke on the July 15. He spent four days in St. Luke's Hospital and is now home recovering until surgery Aug. 30 on his left carotid artery blockage. His surgery was postponed until he went for his heart tests to be sure his heart was strong enough for surgery. We are thankful he passed them all and now is able to have the surgery. Thanks for all your prayers, cards and well wishes.
Lake Country Power holds their annual Member Appreciation Days in the area service centers. There will be a picnic lunch, bucket rides, attendance gifts and a chance for kids to win a new bicycle. This year they are on Aug. 16, 17 and 18. See list of upcoming events for more details.
The recent Vacation Bible Schools were well attended, thanks to everyone who volunteered or participated in any way. We have a great bunch of kids in our area and we need to encourage them to do their best at church, at home, at school and in the community. It won't be long and they will be our leaders and shakers.
Do you have a hobby or idea that you would like to talk about at the Villa Vista Round Table? A group of residents meets every Wednesday at 10 a.m. and new folks are always encouraged to participate. Maybe you have a special collection you could bring, or some special heirlooms from your family, etc. Just call Julie at 218-644-3331 and she will be happy to set up a date for you to come. There are several new residents, so stop in and meet them.
It's that time of year to let the school know of any new families who have moved or are moving into the area with school-age children. Please stop in and get their children registered for the new upcoming school year.
It's official — the Match Mill (also known by several names over the years) in Cloquet has closed its door for good on July 31, 2017. There were so many area folks who motored to Cloquet day after day, year after year to keep this business running over its long history. It sure seems a shame that it closed, but I guess it was old and tired and had to be closed. May it rest in peace, or maybe revive into another business of some kind.
• All Month — Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, the Area Clothing Depot is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• All month — Cribbage at Villa Vista/Cardinal Court, Tuesdays at 6 p.m.
• Every Month — Ruby's Pantry at the Cromwell Park Pavilion, Thursday, Aug. 10, from 9:30-11 a.m. Bring your own boxes and $20 cash.
• Wednesday, Aug. 16 — Lake Country Power Picnic, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Kettle River.
• Thursday, Aug. 17 — Lake Country Power Picnic, 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in Grand Rapids.
• Wednesday, Aug. 16 — Wedding Style Show at Villa Vista. Bring your wedding, bridesmaid, prom, or flower girl dress/dresses to be modeled for the show. Everyone welcome.
• Aug. 17-20 — Carlton County Fair. Call Jennie Hanson at 357-2385 if you can volunteer at the Little Red School for two to four hours on any one of these days.
• Friday, Aug. 18 — Senior Day at the Fair to honor the Outstanding Seniors and the Century Farms.
• Monday, Aug. 21 — Total eclipse of the sun in parts of the USA
• Thursday, Aug. 24 — YOT Senior Dance, 1-4 p.m. at the Cromwell Pavilion.
That all the news from Lake Lazydaysofsummer and be sure to enjoy the Carlton County Fair held in Barnum every year. There's lots to do and see and there are fair booklets at lots of area businesses to get the full schedule of events.