Two men charged after man severely beatenFrancis Alan Martineau, 51, and Jack Marion Thompson, 57, were charged with felony third-degree assault in Sixth District Carlton County Court July 11.
By: Jana Peterson, Pine Journal
Two Cloquet men were charged last Thursday with assault after beating a man so severely that he suffered three skull fractures.
Francis Alan Martineau, 51, and Jack Marion Thompson, 57, were charged with felony third-degree assault in Sixth District Carlton County Court July 11. Bail was set at $1,500 for Martineau and $1,000 for Thompson and both were ordered to have no contact with their victim.
According to the criminal complaint:
At approximately 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, Fond du Lac police officers were dispatched to the area of Whispering Pines and Loop Drive on the Fond du Lac Reservation in Cloquet regarding a report of a man who was walking along the roadway and appeared to have been severely beaten.
When officers responded, they found the victim and called for medical help and transport to the hospital; the victim was eventually taken to a Duluth hospital in serious condition.
In the course of the subsequent investigation, officers were directed to the Martineau residence. When they spoke with Martineau, according to the report, Martineau said the victim had come to his residence and stuck him (Martineau) in the face.
According to the complaint, Thompson pulled the victim off Martineau and both defendants then “commenced a serious beating of the victim.”
Photographs of the entire residence show large amounts of blood, and injuries from both defendants’ hands and knuckles were observed.
Both defendants have prior criminal records, but neither reflects any serious crimes of violence.
Martineau’s past criminal record includes charges of theft, burglary in the third degree, three convictions of driving under the influence and a 2008 conviction of gross misdemeanor riot/unlawful force or violence.
Thompson has been charged with disorderly conduct numerous times, with the most recent conviction for this misdemeanor charge coming in April of this year. He was also convicted of domestic assault in 1992.
Carlton County Attorney Thom Pertler said he heard from several of the victim’s family members after the assaults, noting that the investigation didn’t completely reflect their belief that the victim was innocently attacked.
“It doesn’t appear at first blush that the victim was just over there visiting casually,” Pertler said Monday, adding that the police investigation indicated fifth-degree assault charges might be warranted against the victim. However, the victim — although conscious — had not yet been interviewed on Monday so no charges had been filed.
The victim was not identified in the criminal complaint; however, family members called the Pine Journal to report the incident and gave his name, which will not be reported unless charged. The victim also has a criminal record, including a 2009 conviction for second-degree assault.
Omnibus hearings for both Thompson and Martineau are set for July 22.