Scanlon fire spreads from garage to homeThree people escaped from a garage fire that extended into a home in Scanlon early Thursday, but the home and garage are likely a total loss, Cloquet Area Fire District Chief Kevin Schroeder said. He estimated damages at between $225,000 and $250,000.
By: Jana Peterson, Pine Journal
Three people escaped from a garage fire that extended into a home in Scanlon early Thursday, but the home and garage are likely a total loss, Cloquet Area Fire District Chief Kevin Schroeder said. He estimated damages at between $225,000 and $250,000.
Schroeder said dispatch got the call about 1:50 a.m. Thursday to a garage fire at 2406 Lincoln Ave. The homeowner awakened to the sound of the fire, which had fully engulfed a two-stall detached garage and was extending into the house through windows that were breaking from the heat. Schroeder said police got to the scene in a minute, and an officer helped the homeowner get out of the house.
“The way out of the first floor required her to get pretty close to the garage, so the officer shielded her from the heat with a leather jacket,” Schroeder said.
Two other people in the home — the homeowner’s son and his girlfriend — got out through a basement window.
Cloquet firefighters were on the scene within four minutes.
“We had about 25 people on the scene for about three hours,” Schroeder said, adding that the fire heavily damaged the basement, kitchen and living room. “We also found the family cat had died under a bed, but there were no other injuries.”
Three vehicles parked in the driveway were also damaged by the fire.
The fire was still burning at 2:30 a.m. when local Red Cross volunteer Belissa Ho provided emergency housing for the mother and son; the other woman went to stay at her mother’s home, Schroeder said. According to a Northland Chapter of the American Red Cross press release, Ho will meet with all three Friday to determine their needs.
Schroeder had these parting words of advice: “People should make sure they have fresh batteries in their smoke detectors and egress windows in the basement,” he said, noting that the story might not have had the same healthy ending without the proper basement windows. “Smoke detectors are the No. 1 way to save lives in fires.”
Red Cross disaster relief includes emergency housing, food, clothing, medicine and medical supplies, eyeglasses, health services and disaster counseling.