Free tax preparation services offered at FDLTCCStudents in the business program at Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College will provide free tax preparation assistance on campus through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance network (VITA.)
Students in the business program at Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College will provide free tax preparation assistance on campus through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance network (VITA.) The service is available to all community members whose income levels are less than $50,000 per year. The service is not limited to students attending the college.
The free tax service is available on Tuesdays, February 19 and 26, March 5, 12 and 26, and April 2 and 9, from 5- 8 p.m.; and on Saturdays, February 16 and 23, March 2, 9 and 30, and April 6, from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. The site location is in the Business Program Building located on the west side of the main campus building on 14th street in Cloquet. Volunteers will also staff a site in Room 1410 next to the library at the Fond du Lac Tribal Community Center on Big Lake Road. Appointments or registration are not required, availability is on a first-come, first-served basis. No service will be available March 16, 19 and 23.
When preparing to use the free tax preparation site, people need to bring the following:
- Valid driver’s license or photo identification (self and spouse, if applicable)
- Social Security cards for all persons listed on the return
- Dates of birth for all persons listed on the return
- All income statements: Forms W 2, 1099, Social Security, Unemployment, or other benefits statements, self employment records and any documents showing taxes withheld
- Dependent child care information: payee’s name, address and Social Security number or tax identification number
- Proof of account at financial institution for direct debit or deposit (i.e. canceled/ voided check or a current bank statement)
- Prior year tax return (if available)
- Any other pertinent documents or papers
To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.