Cloquet man gets 3 years in prison for shooting at people outside partyA 26-year-old Cloquet man has been sentenced to nearly 36 months behind bars for shooting at two people on the Fond du Lac Reservation.
By: Jana Peterson, Pine Journal
A 26-year-old Cloquet man has been sentenced to nearly 36 months behind bars for shooting at two people on the Fond du Lac Reservation.
Patrick Charles Lussier pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and terroristic threats in Carlton County Court on Tuesday morning.
Lussier was originally charged in November 2012 with seven felonies: two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of possession of a firearm by a felon, one count of terroristic threats, one count of endangering safety by discharge of a firearm and one count of reckless discharge of a firearm within a municipality.
At his plea hearing in April, Lussier admitted to shooting a gun into the air at a residence on the 1700 block of Blue Spruce Drive west of Cloquet on Nov. 11, 2012, because he was upset that no one at the party would give him a ride to Duluth. When asked by Carlton County Attorney Thom Pertler if he had threatened — “or assaulted, we’ll call it,” Pertler said — a person at the party with a .22-caliber handgun, to intimidate the person into giving him a ride, Lussier agreed that he had.
According to the criminal complaint in the case, Lussier stood outside the vehicle and pointed the gun toward the man he had threatened, who was in the back seat, and then banged the gun on the glass of the car window hard enough to leave chips in the glass. When the group began to exit the driveway in the car, witnesses said Lussier pointed his firearm toward the car and discharged it one time. No one was injured.
The complaint states witnesses reported that even after the incident Lussier used his and others’ cell phones to continue to call one of the men throughout the evening and early morning, telling him that he had a gun and was going to come and kill him. He also had claimed to be a Native Mob member earlier in the evening.
Under the terms of the plea agreement, Lussier pleaded guilty to one count of each of felony second-degree assault and terroristic threats, in exchange for dismissal of the other five charges. As well, Pertler and defense attorney Bruce Rivers agreed that Lussier’s sentencing to 36 months in prison could be delayed until after the birth of his child, expected in early July.
However, that agreement fell apart after Lussier tested positive for heroin and cocaine after his hearing in April. Instead of being released until his sentencing, he was taken into custody immediately for violating the terms of his conditional release. Lussier will serve his time at the Minnesota Correctional Facility in St. Cloud.