CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93, CARLTON, MINNESOTA, JANUARY 23, 2012, REGULAR MEETING
CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93
JANUARY 23, 2012
The Board of Education of Independent School District 93, Carlton, Minnesota, met in regular session on Monday, January 23, 2012. Emerson called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Members present: Walton, Johnson, Hagenah, Gibson, Emerson, and Bennett. Superintendent Haapala, ex officio, was absent.
Motion to approve the updated meeting agenda was made by Johnson and seconded by Gibson. The motion was carried with corrections made to items 4.3 and 5.5; deletion of item 5.9, and the addition of items 9.4 and 10.4.
Emerson called for Public Comments. Santkuyl requested an update on the search for a Football Coach.
Congratulations and commendations were read by Emerson:
- Thanks to Connie Peterson and Lisa Johnson for collection and redemption of Kemps Milk Caps and General Mills Box Tops for Education. Donations from Kemps for $525.85 and $724.80 from General Mills were received due to efforts of these South Terrace staff members, kids, and community.
- Acknowledge the purchase of a Smart Board for Room 6 in Carlton High School by the Indian Education Committee.
- Thanks to the South Terrace Partners In Education (PIE) for the $560 donation toward t-shirts for the 40 students participating in the Minnesota Student Inventors Consort.
Emerson read the Consent Agenda. Hagenah made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda; Gibson seconded.
- Approval of Minutes - Regular Meeting December 19, 2011 with corrections, Finance Committee meeting December 19, 2011, and Organizational Meeting, January 11, 2012.
- Approve 2013-2015 Technology Plan.
- Approve Donation of Sick Leave procedures for Teamsters with correction.
- Approve contract with Impinger Safety Solutions, LLC for 2011-2012.
- Approve increase in contract of Ryan Schmidt, Special Education teacher to .68 FTE effective January 3, 2012.
- Accept Resignation of Ryan Schmidt from Lunch supervision, Schedule C.
- Accept resignation by retirement of Linda Asher, HS Secretary effective April 27, 2012 with thanks for her 33 years of service.
- Accept resignation of Jeannette Boedigheimer with thanks for her 26 years of service as High School Clerk 1 effective March 21 barring any personal life changing incidents.
- Approve Teacher seniority list for 2011-2012.
Motion carried 6-0.
Student Advocate's Report was provided by Delaney Coy and Chelsea TIscher. Highlights included Homecoming details, ski teams activity, and the success of the Holiday Send Off.
B. Connolly provided the High School Assistant Principal's Report including Teacher-in-Service activities and pre-ACT testing (P.L.A.N.) schedule. Barbara Soukkala, Mary Mauer and Carolyn Schroeder were commended for their presentations at the in service day in Barnum.
South Terrace Elementary Principal's Report provided by BJ Berg included notice of an open Professional Learning Community (PLC) meeting scheduled for January 24, "PreK-3 alignment". A Reading Well Plan, Minnesota Reading Corp application for Pre-K and one for K-5 was submitted, and a grant proposal requesting funding for additional Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) material has been approved by the Northland Foundation. The commitment to a proactive approach to bullying prevention was recently assisted by a donation of Hazelden material. An overview of the school schedule was also provided.
The Enrollment Report was reviewed by all.
Emerson read a letter from the Business Manager requesting contract negotiations.
Eiffler outlined the District Financial Report and Outstanding Indebtedness.
Johnson moved to approve December payroll for a total of $287,896.22 and wires summative at $73,326.24 as presented and order them paid. Gibson seconded the motion. The motion carried with a unanimous vote.
Johnson moved to approve January Finance checks in the amount $377,542.47as presented and order them paid. Walton seconded the motion and the motion carried.
Walton moved to approve the donation of sick time for Joyce Johnson based on the amended procedure approved on the Consent Agenda at the January 23, 2012 Regular Board Meeting. Second on the motion was made by Bennett. Motion carried 6-0.
Hagenah and Gibson reviewed the MSBA Leadership Conference for the Board and answered questions about the recent meeting with Mercury On Line Education. Eiffler announced a conference call to discuss ramifications of online learning for Special Education programs is scheduled for later this week. Other concerns and promises were discussed. Emerson asked Board to review the drafted contract and view the website in preparation for the next meeting.
Job postings and procedures were discussed.
Future meetings set:
- Special Meeting -January 30 at 7:00 pm
- Extra Curricular Committee Meeting February 2 at 5:30 p.m.
- Special (Work) Meeting - February 13, 2012 @ 7:00 p.m. and monthly thereafter on the second Monday of each month.
- Regular School Board Meeting - February 27, 2012 @7:00 p.m.
- Additional Committee meetings to be set after February 13.
Gibson made the motion to adjourn with support by Hagenah that there being no further business the meeting be declared adjourned at 9:22 p.m. Motion passed.