CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93, CARLTON, MINNESOTA, OCTOBER 17, 2011, REGULAR MEETING
CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93
OCTOBER 17, 2011
The Board of Education of Independent School District 93, Carlton, Minnesota, met in a regular session on Monday, October 17, 2011. The meeting was called to order at 7:04 p.m. by Hagenah, Chair. Members present: Hagenah, Walton, Emerson, Gibson, Johnson, and Haapala, ex officio. Absent: Kiehn.
Motion to approve meeting agenda by Gibson, and second by Emerson was carried.
Hagenah called for public comments. None were offered.
Emerson read thanks to the Sawyer Center for donation of art supplies, and Wal-Mart for donation of school supplies. Commendations to Megan Masso/Kolkind and Lori Cawcutt for the time and effort they have put into restructuring the school readiness programs and the excellent improvements that have been made to the program. A thank you to staff members Carolyn Schroeder, Jamie Hegg, Brenda Johnson, Caryl Kunze, and former staff members Ginny Hansen and Mary Maurer for giving of their time and expertise in organizing and providing another well attended Kindergarten Family Night and an additional thanks to Sandy Moench and the Latchkey staff for providing child-care during the event.
Emerson read the Consent Agenda. The motion to approve the agenda with corrections made by Johnson was second by Gibson and carried.
- Approval of Minutes - Regular Meeting, September 19, 2011; Special Meeting October 3, 2011.
- Recommendation to hire Paul Crotteau as Assistant Boys' Basketball Coach for 2011-2012.
- Recommendation to hire Rita Hughes for .70 FTE Title I teaching position beginning October 10, 2011, to April 27, 2012 (128 days) at BA Step 1.
- Recommendation to increase Ryan Schmidt to .61 FTE position due to caseload increase effective September 26, 2011.
- Approve contract with Lucy DeVore to provide services as School Psychologist.
- Recommendation to reduce Jessica Thayer to .8 FTE ECSE position effective October 17, 2011, and end 50% sharing agreement with Esko School District for her time.
- Recommendation to renew contract of Christine Bryant as Assistant Girls' Basketball coach for 2011-12.
- Approve Assurance of Compliance Statement.
- Approve Fiscal Year Integration Budget of $3,000.
Reports were given by Student Advocates Megan Tomczak, Courtney Bauer and Tori Zime, High School Assistant Beckie Connolly, South Terrace Elementary Principal BJ Berg, Superintendent Peter Haapala and the District Financial Report presented by Renee Eiffler.
Walton made a motion to approve district bills as presented and order them paid. September Payroll of $258,977.71 and finance checks for $129,058.83. Emerson seconded the motion. Motion carried 5-0.
Information was given by Haapala on Enrollment, Red Cross emergency response facility use request, and the MSBA Leadership Conference January 12-13, 2012.
Future meetings set were Committee of the Whole: Work session/Audit review on November 2, 2011, 7:00 pm. Curriculum Committee on November 7, 2011. Finance Committee on November 21, 2011, 6:00 p.m. Regular School Board Meeting on November 21, 2011, 7:00 pm.
Negotiation Meeting with CEA previously scheduled for October 25, 2011 was cancelled and a new date needs to be set.
An open discussion was held regarding football plans and options based on the business of Extracurricular Committee meeting held earlier this evening.
Emerson moved for adjournment. Johnson seconded. Motion passed at 8:14 p.m.