CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93, CARLTON, MINNESOTA, AUGUST 15, 2011, REGULAR MEETING
CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93
AUGUST 15, 2011
The Board of Education of Independent School District 93, Carlton, Minnesota, met in a regular session on Monday, August 15, 2011. The meeting was called to order at 7:02 p.m. by Hagenah, Chair. Members present: Hagenah, Emerson, Johnson, Gibson, Kiehn, Walton, and Haapala, ex officio. Absent: none.
Correction to the agenda item 5.13 to read, "Approve Carlton High School and South Terrace Elementary Student and Faculty Handbooks." Addition to the agenda for item 10.2 , "Schedule Work Session." Motion by Johnson, second by Emerson, to approve the meeting agenda as corrected. Motion passed.
Hagenah called for Public Comments but none were heard.
Thanks were offered to Shari Janovick and the band for marching in the Carlton Daze parade.
Consent agenda read by Kiehn. Motion by Johnson, second by Gibson to approve the consent agenda as corrected.
- Approval of Minutes - Regular Meeting, July 18, 2011 corrected to read "Motion by Gibson, second by Kiehn to terminate contract of Rhonda Nelson effective July 15, 2011. Motion was carried."
- Recommendation to hire Kristi Lindstrom as Administrative Assistant/Accounts Payable/Payroll Clerk per Confidential Employees Bargaining Unit Agreement.
- Approve recommendation recall of Lisa Johnson to 1.0 FTE K-12 Physical Education/Health/ DAPE teacher at BA Step 7.
- Approve recommendation to hire Jason Sieling as 0.78 FTE 5-12 Industrial Technology teacher at BA Step 1.
- Approve recommendation to hire LaDawn Kovala for one (1) additional semester Art Class increasing to a 0.62 FTE Art K-12 Teacher at BA Step 1.
- Approve recommendation to renew contract of Dennis Korman as Head Football coach for 2011-2012 season.
- Approve recommendation to renew contract of Barb Soukkala as Head Volleyball coach for 2011-2012 season.
- Approve recommendation to hire Adam Bailey as Head Boys Basketball coach for 2011-2012 season.
- Accept quote of North Country Waste & Recycling for Garbage/Recycling.
- Accept quote of Pan-O-Gold for Bread.
- Accept quote Franklin Foods for Milk.
- Accept quote of Como Oil & Propane for Fuel/Gasoline.
- Approve Carlton High School and South Terrace Elementary Student and Faculty Handbooks.
Reports were given by High School Assistant Principal Becky Connolly, South Terrace Elementary Principal BJ Berg, Superintendent Peter Haapala and the District Financial Report was presented by Haapala.
Motion by Kiehn, second by Gibson to approve July Payroll of $292,351.75 and Finance checks totalling $93,159.08 as presented and order them paid. Motion passed.
Superintendent Haapala gave updates on the Mercury Online Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and unofficial estimates on the Statutory Operating Debt (SOD).
Future dates were set as follows by a consensus. Carlton Education Association for fact finding Q&A on August 23, 2011, 5:00 p.m. Public Relations Committee on August 22, 2011, 7:00 p.m. Finance Committee on September 14, 2011, 4:3o p.m. Regular School Board Meeting on September 19, 2011, 7:00 p.m.
A discussion was held concerning District sharing agreements including the agreement with Fond du Lac for fall football. A Board work session was scheduled to set goals for the Board on September 12 at 5:00 p.m.
Kiehn read the motion to move to a closed session at 8:42. The regular session reconvened at 9:00 p.m.
Motion by Kiehn, second by Johnson to ratify the tentative agreement with Teamster Local 346 1 Custodians. Motion passed.
Motion by Kiehn, second by Emerson to ratify the tentative agreement with Teamsters Local 346 II Secretaries, Paraprofessionals, Cooks, and Bus Drivers. Motion passed.
Motion by Johnson, second by Gibson to ratify the tentative agreement with Carlton Principal's Association. Motion passed.
Motion by Kiehn, second by Gibson to ratify the tentative agreement with the Confidential Employees Bargaining Unit. Motion passed.
Motion by Kiehn, second by Gibson that there being no further business the meeting be declared adjourned at 9:05 p.m. Motion passed.