CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93 CARLTON, MINNESOTA, JUNE 20, 2011 REGULAR MEETING
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 93
JUNE 20, 2011
The Board of Education of Independent School District 93, Carlton, Minnesota, met in a regular session on Monday, June 20, 2011. With all members present the board, guest speaker Stacy Anderson presented information regarding "Just Kids Dental."
Thanks were offered to students and families who collected milk caps and to Kemps for the $450 donation.
Thanks to Andy Wyman for his donation of time and materials to renew the long jump pit.
Thanks to Cheryl Splinter for efforts with Project Green - recycling of cell phones and ink cartridges.
Congratulations to Andy Wyman and Lindsey Dahl-Holm for going to state with Track.
Congratulations to CHS Band for getting all Superior ratings at state.
T. Bockbrader asked about the hiring procedures, how the decisions were made and what changed in this process. M. Walton asked for clarification on being hired at BA 60 with a Masters degree.
The consent agenda was approved for:
- Approval of Minutes - Regular Meeting, May 16, 2011, and Committee of the Whole for May 9 and June 13, 2011.
- Adopt Resolution regarding MNTAAB Cash Flow Borrowing
- Approve hiring of Elizabeth Adams as Mathematics teacher, 1.0 FTE, BA Step 1, pending receipt of favorable background check and Minnesota Licensure
- Resolve to discontinue the position of Technology Coordinator, Valerie McLain effective July 1, 2011
- Approve agreement with CW Technologies to provide Information Technology Services
- Approve Specific Services Agreement with ARCC
- Approve hiring of LaDawn Kovala as .48 FTE Art Teacher at BA Step 1.
- Second reading of Fund Balance Policy #714
- Approve NLSEC hire list for Birth through age 2 Services Summer 2011
- Approve hiring of Laura Nitche ESY 2011 Speech services
- Rescind Resolution of March 21, 2011 proposing to place Tracy Bockbrader on unrequested leave of Absence
- Rescind Resolution of March 21, 2011 proposing to place Patrick Day on unrequested leave of Absence
- Rescind Resolution of March 21, 2011 proposing to place Debra Coy on unrequested leave of Absence
- Approve hiring Melissa Walton as 1.0 FTE, Elementary Education teacher at MA Step 4 with agreement to extend probationary status for additional year.
- Approve hiring Jessica Thayer as 1.0 FTE, Early Childhood Special Education teacher at MA Step 4 with agreement to extend probationary status for additional year.
- Approve hiring Ryan Schmidt as 0.5 FTE, K-12 Special Education teacher at MA Step 4
Reports were read by Student Advocate - Spencer Walton, Superintendent - Peter Haapala, and District Financial Report - Renee Eiffler. No reports were given by the Elementary Principal or High School Assistant Principal.
District bills were approved including May Payroll of $343,100.41, and Finance checks for $74,373.49 as presented and ordered them to be paid.
A resolution to approve and adopt the revenue and expenditure budgets of Carlton Independent School District #93 for Fiscal Year 2012 was offered and adopted unanimously.
A recommendation to donate $6094 to Carlton County Sheriff for D.A.R.E Program failed.
The bid of Eikill & Schilling to perform audit services for Fiscal years 2011-2014 was reviewed and approved.
The Memorandum of Understanding with Carlton Education Association regarding Sick Leave Bank was approved by vote.
A resolution to authorize the issuance of the District's General Obligation Aid Anticipation Certificates of Indebtedness, Series 2011B and to authorize the Chair or Clerk to accept an offer to purchase said Certificates from Piper Jaffray & Co. (the "Purchaser") upon certain specified conditions was adopted.
Jacob Gunderson was placed on unrequested leave at the conclusion of the 2010-2011 school year on a unanimous vote.
A motion passed to recall Jacob Gunderson to a .78 FTE Industrial Technology teacher position at BA 60 Step 8.
Sharon Armagost was placed on unrequested leave at the conclusion of the 2010-2011 school year by unanimous vote.
A motion passed to recall Sharon Armagost to a .78 FTE Science teacher position at MA 15 Step 11.
Lisa Johnson was placed on unrequested leave at the conclusion of the 2010-2011 school year by vote.
A motion passed to recall Lisa Johnson to a .27 FTE Health/Physical Education/DAPE teacher position at BA Step 7.
It was resolved to hire Melissa Walton as 1.0 FTE, Elementary Education teacher at BA 60 Step 11 with agreement to extend probationary status for additional year with Walton abstaining from the vote.
Informational: Request to open negotiations from Carlton Principal's Association, enrollment reports, Carlton ISD #93 is now a volunteer site for RSVP, agreement with Lakes & Pines Head Start Program, lease agreement with LSR for Dishwasher.
Moved to closed session 8:32 p.m. then reconvened regular meeting at 9:39 p.m.
Future meetings were set for Carlton Education Association - July 6, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.; Principal's negotiations - July 20, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.; Teamsters negotiations - July 18, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.; Joint meeting with Fond du Lac Ojibwe School Board - July 7, 2011 at 6:00 p.m.; Finance Committee - July 13, 2011 at 5:00 p.m.
Discussion: Lawn Care quotes, metal on school's roof project completion, Fond du Lac sharing agreement
The meeting adjourned at 10:12 p.m.