WRENSHALL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, NO. 100 BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2012
WRENSHALL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT, NO. 100
BOARD OF EDUCATION
MONDAY - JANUARY 23, 2012
The Wrenshall Board of Education's regular meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. on Monday, January 23, 2012 by Chair Powers.
Board members in attendance were Troy Powers, Renae House, Matt Laveau, Janaki Fisher-Merritt, Deb Bryce and Shane Kuhlmey. Also in attendance were Superintendent Rick Herman, Principal Frank and Board Secretary Candy Christensen along with staff and community members.
Additions or corrections to the agenda: None
MOTION by Fisher-Merritt; seconded by Bryce to approve the Agenda. Motion carried.
Update of Activity Fund, Interest Earned and Revenue Report.
MOTION by Laveau; seconded by Kuhlmey to approve the consent agenda. Motion carried.
Superintendent Herman recognized and/or noted the following:
- The staff for the completion of the Special Ed compliance.
Principal Frank recognized the following:
- Denise North and members of the Knowledge Bowl teams for placing 1st, 3rd, 8th and 13th at the January 17th competition.
- Heather Schmitz for donating a coffee pot to be used in the concession stand.
- Met with David Blinn and Kelly Thymian to discuss future plans regarding purchasing our own beverages to sell rather than continuing the contract with CocaCola.
- We have held two Community/School Sub-Committee meetings.
- The staff in-service last week went well.
- There are two calendar choices for the 2012/2013 school year. It is depending on the board to make their selection for approval.
- Have been busy working on the revised budget.
- We received eight applications for the Business Manager. Hopefully the interviews for this position can be held the week of February 8th.
- There is some parent concern about the number of students in the afternoon kindergarten class.
- The Dance group is now being headed by Kara Wrazidlo and Kate Codotte.
- Registration for the 2012/2013 school year is currently being worked on.
- The testing window is February through May.
- Information regarding the Booster Club is now available through the school's web site.
Community Education Director's report:
- The Latchkey fee per child has been raised to help with snack costs.
- Sheila Laveau is currently working on coordinating the summer latchkey program.
- It is requested that parent's pre-pay each month for latchkey services.
- CE classes and the pool calendar can be viewed on the school's web site.
- There are no pool parties scheduled; however there is a wedding rental on the calendar.
- Swimming lessons will continue until March 10th.
- Father/Daughter Ball meetings are underway and going well.
- Erin Riley is beginning the donation request process for IMAGES.
- Working with other area CE Directors in putting together "Carlton County's Got Talent" auditions and final competition.
- Upcoming CE classes include Basket Making, Bent Willow, Trapping and Cooking. There is also a dance in the future.
- The Power Lunch program has started with 15 volunteers for 15 students.
MOTION by Fisher-Merritt; seconded by Powers to approve the 2011/2012 Revised Budget as presented. Motion carried.
MOTION by Kuhlmey ; seconded by Bryce to approve the Resolution directing Administration to make recommendations for reductions in programs and positions. Motion carried.
MOTION by Powers ; seconded by Kuhlmey to approve trading in the brown van on the Traverse at Kolar. Motion carried.
MOTION by Bryce ; seconded by Kuhlmey to approve Carla Gamradt as the Boy's Track Coach. Motion carried.
Discussion regarding Community/School Sub-committee ideas. The board members worked on narrowing down possible ideas to implement. The board recognizes the value of all the ideas and has determined to recommend these 10 at the next meeting:
1. College Prep and Vocational track
2. Curriculum Director to plan for both elementary and high school (grant writer)
3. Time for assessment and planning purposes
4. Outreach program to families that aren't involved
5. Common Reading Hour
6. Para's in all elementary classrooms
7. Safe Schools - temperature, busing, security, nutritional, lighting
8. Positive Learning environment - kids care, are motivated and learn independently
9. Fostering students passions and resources to do that to keep them engaged in learning
10. Electives - more to keep kids here (balancing between elementary and high school)
Discussion regarding the school calendar.
MOTION by Kuhlmey; seconded by Bryce to approve a commitment of $10,000.00 toward the Playground Fund. Motion carried.
Superintendent Herman provided a handout outlining the area schools current rates of pay for sub positions. Discussion regarding future consideration to increase our rates to be more comparable.
- The City of Wrenshall is currently working with our 4th grade students on a project with the Minnesota Rural Water Association to create posters reflecting what they have learned about the water cycle, ground water, and conserving water.
- Emails from area schools were received to acknowledge the success of our Knowledge Bowl teams. Congratulations were extended.
- Denise North challenged the board members to compete against the Knowledge Bowl team in the near future.
- Discussion regarding handicap parking areas and the future purchase of wheelchairs for the school.
- Paladin Brands has extended an offer to work with our Metals Class.
MOTION by Kuhlmey; seconded by House to adjourn meeting at 7:23 p.m. Motion carried.
(Minutes are subject to approval at the February 27, 2012 meeting.)
Troy Powers, Chair
Deb Bryce, Clerk