CLOQUET SCHOOL BOARD WORKING SESSION SUMMARY, GARFIELD SCHOOL BOARD ROOM, WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2012 - 5:30 P.M.
CLOQUET SCHOOL BOARD WORKING SESSION SUMMARY
GARFIELD SCHOOL BOARD ROOM
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2012 - 5:30 P.M.
I. Call of Working Session to Order
School Board Chair Gary Huard called the working session to order at 5:43 p.m.
II. Roll Call
Sandy Crowley, Dan Danielson, Jim Crowley, Dave Battaglia, Duane Buytaert, Gary Huard, Superintendent Ken Scarbrough, Principals Tom Brenner, CMS; David Wangen, Churchill Elementary School; Connie Hyde, CAAEP; Teacher School Board Representatives Cathy Schroeder and Leanne Schmidt, and Executive Assistant Bonnie Monfeldt
III. Pledge of Allegiance
IV. Budget Discussions
Superintendent Ken Scarbrough commented that this would be a working session of the board. He appreciated everyone's attendance and welcomed Dana and Nathanial from Fox 21 News.
A summary of the 2011-2012 budget revision was provided so the board would have a better understanding of the existing fund balance and deficit the district is facing. The latest budget revision shows a current year deficit of $689,000.
- Minnesota school districts only receive 60% of current year state funding with the remaining 40% to be received next fall, as more delays for that yearly funding are put in place. The state funding delay for this school year is $8 million.
- There is some discussion at the state level that, if their projected deficit looks substantial, we could be looking at 50% delay in state funding, or $10 million. The district will have to borrow funds next year anyway. If the delay in payments is increased, the district's borrowing needs would be much worse.
A list of budget reduction possibilities were outlined by Superintendent Scarbrough. The list included: increased activity fees; increased class sizes; elimination of 10 instructional days from the school calendar; reduction of custodial sub pay; restructuring of Developmental Kindergarten program to every other day, plus alternate Fridays; reduction/restructuring of Title I positions; elimination of .4 FTE elementary specialist time; reduction of Indian Education tutor liaison position; administration savings with the retirement of existing principal; CHS course reductions and class size increases; and CMS increased class sizes.
The above reductions total approximately $611,980. There has also been some discussion about adding a Vo-Tech position, which would add to costs.
V. School Calendar
Three sample calendars were presented to show the effects of reducing instructional days by zero, five or 10 days.
We need to figure out how the instructional days would look if their numbers are reduced.
Some students may have better attendance if more days were available to take care of appointments and other non-school needs.
Principals are in agreement that they believe Option #2 - 10 Less Instructional Days can work.
There being no further business to discuss, Board Chair G. Huard adjourned the working session at 7:28 p.m.
School Board Clerk
School Board Chair