CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT #93 SCHOOL BOARD MEETING MINUTES - MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2011 CARLTON HIGH SCHOOL
CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT #93 SCHOOL BOARD MEETING
MINUTES - MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2011
CARLTON HIGH SCHOOL
The Board of Education of Independent School District 93, Carlton, Minnesota, met in regular session on Monday, December 19, 2011. The meeting was called to order at 7:01 p.m. by Emerson acting for the Chair. Members present: Walton, Johnson, Emerson, Gibson, and Superintendent Haapala, ex officio. Absent: Kiehn and Hagenah.
Motion to approve meeting agenda was made by Gibson and seconded by Johnson was carried 4-0.
Emerson called for Public Comments but none were offered.
The Audit for Fiscal Year 2011 as presented, Deborah Medlin, CPA, from Eikill & Schilling. A motion to approve the Audit Report by Walton was supported by Johnson. Approval was carried 4-0.
Public congratulations and commendations were read by Emerson:
- Thanks to the Jasper A. Youngren Memorial Fund and the Carlton Hoops Club for their generous donations for scoreboard repairs.
- Congratulations to Sharrie Janovick and the elementary and high school students for two wonderful holiday concerts
- Additional congratulations were offered to Sherry Herman and the After School Education (ASE) Choir for a great showing at their holiday concert and for doing a great job singing the national anthem at a recent Girls Basketball Game.
- Linda Asher was also commended for an exceptional audit performance.
The Consent Agenda read by Emerson was offered for approval by Gibson and supported by Johnson with minor corrections to the Minutes of the November 21, 2011 Regular Board meeting.
- Approve the Minutes - Regular Meeting November 21, 2011 with correction.
- Approve the contract of Sharrie Janovick as the extra-curricular Instrumental Music Director for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Approve the contract of Tracy Bockbrader as the National Honor Society Advisor for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Approve the contract of Deb Saunders as the Peer Helpers Advisor for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Approve the contract of Andy Wyman as the Head Track and Field Coach for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Accept Resolution of Local Indian Education Committee indicating concurrence with educational programs for American Indian children offered by the school board.
- Approve District AYP (Adequate Yearly Progress) plan.
- Approve the hire of Carrie Runstrom as Part-Time Paraprofessional at South Terrace. [The position will be 6.75 hours weekdays January 3 through June 5, 2012 at $11.07 after the customary probationary period for a contract of $4591.83 for 105 days.]
- Approve hiring Jason Sieling as Homebound Instructor for one student.
A report offered by the High School Assistant Principal Beckie Connolly addressed the Foster grandparent program, excellent student behavior at the SnoBall event, and winter sports in progress.
South Terrace Elementary Principal's Report by BJ Berg included highlights on after school enrichment programs offered, the bullying prevention training upcoming, and program alignment using "Making a Difference" information.
Superintendent Peter Haapala reported Project Green Fleet headed up by Rob Hyry replaced mufflers on District vehicles with a "Green Grant." The Individual Program Plan meeting in Sawyer drew no resident attendance. Comments included steady school enrollment and the creative transportation plans for the closing of the Thomson Bridge in June. An athletic awards banquet is scheduled for May 18, 2012 and the search for a football coach will continue with a re-posting of the opening.
The District Financial Report was given by Renee Eiffler.
Gibson moved to approve district bills as presented and order them paid. Walton seconded the motion.
- November Payroll in the amount of $292,185.08 and wires of $88,194.05
- December Finance checks in the amount $210,161.35
The motion carried with a unanimous vote.
A letter of resignation of Board Member Peggy Kiehn was presented to be effective December 31, 2011. Johnson moved to accept the resignation. Walton supported the motion.
- Commendations were offered to Peggy Kiehn for her many years of service to the District and community on the School Board.
The motion carried 4-0.
A motion to approve the donation of sick time for Joyce Johnson was moved by Johnson and seconded by Gibson. After discussion Johnson amended the motion to lay the question on the table until the next regular School Board Meeting, Gibson concurred and the motion carried 4-0.
Open discussion was held regarding Campus Online Payments.
Future meetings were set as
- Reorganization Meeting - January 11, 2012 @ 7:00 p.m.
- Regular School Board Meeting - to be determined
Motion by Gibson, second by Johnson that there being no further business the meeting be declared adjourned at 8:27 p.m. Motion passed.