CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT #93, MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2011 - 7:00 P.M. BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING
CARLTON INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT #93
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2011 - 7:00 P.M.
BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING
The Board of Education of Independent School District 93, Carlton, Minnesota, met in regular session on Monday, November 21, 2011. The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Hagenah, Chair. Members present: Hagenah, Walton, Emerson, Gibson, and Superintendent Haapala, ex officio. Absent: Kiehn and Johnson.
Motion to approve meeting agenda with corrections and additions was made by Gibson and seconded by Emerson was carried 4-0.
Hagenah called for public comments and explained the guidelines of comment acknowledgement for the evening. Rick Santkuyl handed out copies of his email dated 11-21-11 regarding athletics and management in the district. Discussion ensued.
Hagenah read congratulations and commendations to:
- Thanks to the Township of Twin Lakes for their donation of $1900 for Knowledge Bowl sponsorship.
- Thanks to the South Terrace Parents In Education (PIE) for their donation of funds for 50 feet of ethernet network cabling.
- Thanks to HOOPS and the Student Council for purchasing a new school mascot costume.
- Additionally, commendations were given for Sherrie Janovick and the High School band for their stellar performance in the City of the North Parade.
- Congratulations were offered to Lindsey Dahl, for her achievements leading to her placement at the State Cross Country Meet and the Boys and Girls Soccer Teams advancing to State.
- Kids Plus teamed up with the Carlton Chamber of Commerce for a successful Christmas Bazaar and Breakfast with Santa on November 19.
- Deep appreciation was expressed to the VFW and VFW Auxiliary for sharing with the students at South Terrace and participating in the program on Veteran's Day.
Emerson read the proposed consent agenda.
Approval of Minutes:
- Special Meeting, August 29, 2011
- Regular Meeting, October 17, 2011
- Committee of the Whole, November 2, 2011
- Extra Curricular meeting minutes, November 2, 2011
Approve dissolution of Football cooperative with Fond du Lac Ojibwe School .
Accept resignation of Linda Whitney, Paraprofessional.
Approval to recall Rory Connolly as paraprofessional.
Approval to hire Holly Hischer at paraprofessional.
Accept resignation of Dennis Korman as football coach.
Authorize posting of Head Football Coach position.
Accept donations of $1900 from Twin Lakes Township for Knowledge Bowl, cabling worth $16.64 from the South Terrace PIE, and $900.38 from HOOPS and the Student Council for the mascot costume.
Recommendation to hire Paula Mack for 2 hour/day Food Server position.
Recommendation to renew contract of Travis Gran as Junior High Girls Basketball coach for 2011-12 season.
Recommendation to renew contract of Mike Soderstrom as Junior High Boys Basketball coach for 2011-12 season.
Gibson moved to approve the Consent Agenda as corrected. Emerson seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Delaney Coy and Gracie Macor provided the Student Advocate Report.
Beckie Connolly gave the High School Assistant Principal's Report.
South Terrace Elementary Principal's Report was given by BJ Berg .
Superintendent Haapala gave report on Integration Planning with Cloquet ISD #94, a meeting with the Indian Education Board, and Statutory Operating Debt (SOD) update given at the Lions Club meeting.
The District Financial Report was highlighted by Superintendent Haapala.
A motion to approve the district October payroll in the amount of $278,768.99 and finance checks in the amount $162,548.04 and order them paid was made by Gibson. Emerson seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Information on Elementary Test Results was given by Berg and MSBA Leadership Conference January 12-13, 2012 data was passed along by Haapala.
Future meetings times and dates were set as:
Open meeting with Fond du Lac parents and tribal leaders at the Sawyer Community Center - December 8 @ 5:30 p.m.
Finance Committee - December 19, 2011@ 6:00 p.m.
Special Meeting: Truth in Taxation - December 19, 2011 @ 6:30 p.m.
Regular School Board Meeting - December 19, 2011@7:00 pm
A Town Hall meeting will be arranged by the Public Relations Committee for January.
Emerson read the intent to move to closed session regarding negotiations at 8:35 p.m. Reconvened in regular session at 8:47 p.m.
Gibson made the motion to resolve to deny the seven grievances filed by the Carlton Education Association. Emerson seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Open discussion highlighted a successful evening for Hoops Turkey Bingo as a fundraiser for future athletic funding within the district. The need for policy and policy enforcement for facility use was debated. It was decided that the Finance Committee should address such guidelines and they be charged with writing a Facility Use Policy and possible Fee Schedule as appropriate.
Emerson made the motion to adjourn at 9:11 p.m. Walton seconded the motion. Motion carried 4-0.
Tim Hagenah, Chair
Julie Emerson, Clerk
Minutes are also posted on the Carlton ISD website at www.carlton.k12.mn.us.