Contact the Cloquet Building Officials office by calling 218-879-2507 or by stopping at Cloquet City Hall at 1307 Cloquet Ave. between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The inspector from the department is available for conferences between 8 and 10 a.m. Monday through Friday, and normally performs inspections between 10 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. by appointment. No inspection will be made unless an appropriate permit for such work has been previously obtained.
Structures and other items that need a permit:
• Signs, including building, temporary and ground signs
• Roofing projects
• Fences 2 ½ feet and higher
• Accessory structures larger than 120 square feet
The following items do NOT require a building permit:
• One-story detached buildings that do not exceed 120 square feet;
• Fences less than 2 feet 6 inches
• Retaining walls under 4 feet in height from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall
• Flatwork, walks and driveways
• Painting, papering and similar finish work
• Window awnings supported by the exterior wall of a one- or two-family residence
Find out more online at www.ci.cloquet.mn.us under Chapter 17 of the City Code. For the permit fee schedule, go to the city’s website and look for Quick Links on the home page and click on building permits.