Donate your deer hide to MDHAOnce again the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association (MDHA) is collecting deer hides. Proceeds from your donated hide are used for habitat acquisition and restoration.
Once again the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association (MDHA) is collecting deer hides. Proceeds from your donated hide are used for habitat acquisition and restoration. Of the money raised, 75 percent will stay here in Carlton County. The remaining 25 percent goes to the State Habitat account for large, statewide projects.
When donating a hide, be sure to take good care of it – damaged hides aren’t as valuable as hides in good condition. Skin the deer as soon as possible after harvesting. This makes for easier skinning. When skinning, use a knife as little as possible to minimize cutting through the hide. Skin the deer by pulling the hide off the carcass. Remove the head and limbs, which are considered household garbage and can be thrown with your garbage. Don’t put heads and limbs in the collection box. Roll up the hide and place in an orange Hides for Habitat collection box. Don’t put the hide in a plastic bag.
The MDHA Hides for Habitat collection boxes are large hunter-orange boxes and have the MDHA logo on them, located at Outdoor Advantage and Alaspa’s Gas and Convenience, both in Cloquet; Sawyer Store in Sawyer; Junction Tire Service and Harold’s Service and Bait, both in Carlton; Rob’s Mahtowa Tavern in Mahtowa; Nickerson Bar in Nickerson; Gary Liquor and Bait in Duluth; BJ’s Express in Wright; Little Store in Floodwood; Trolley Station Store in Cromwell; Little Store in Esko; Crossroads Store in Saginaw; Boneyard Bar in Wrenshall; Duquette General Store in Duquette; and Blaine Brothers in Scanlon.
For more information, contact Dave Berthiaume, Hides for Habitat chairman, at 218-380-9783.