Upcoming road construction to close main entrance to Wal-Mart
Another big week of road construction is in store along Highway 33 in Cloquet next week. Most notable is the seven-day closure of the Gillette Road entrance to Wal-Mart and other east side businesses to allow for concrete pavement through the intersection. The contractor expects to complete the concrete pavement and reopen the intersection at the end of seven days, though the exact start date is yet to be determined. Business access signs will be installed to direct traffic to the Doddridge Avenue intersection. Traffic can use the frontage road or 14th Street to access the businesses during the closure.
Other major work expected this week will be:
- Preparation of Highway 33 for paving
- Concrete pavement at intersections
- Completion of work on Big Lake Road and Doddridge Avenue
- Construction of turn lanes on northbound Highway 33
- Completion of a block wall at Perkins
- Utility construction on the mainline near McDonalds, including turn lanes
- Mainline pavement beginning on July 28
- Sidewalk construction on Doddridge and Big Lake Road
The new entrance to Super One is complete, along with the entrance to Perkin’s. The Little Store is using a temporary entrance while the new concrete entrance is curing.
Traffic disruptions will include closure of the southbound I-35 to northbound Highway 33 ramp, as well as the southbound Highway 33 to the northbound I-35 ramp. There will continue to be lane restrictions on Big Lake Road and Doddridge Avenue.