INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 94 CLOQUET, MINNESOTA MAY 27, 2014 REGULAR MEETING
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 94
The regular meeting of the School Board of Independent School District No. 94 was called to order by Board Chair G. Huard, in the City of Cloquet, on May 27, 2014 at 6:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call - the following Board members were present on roll call:
Robbi Mondati, CAAEP Principal/CHS Assistant Principal
Tom Brenner, CMS Principal
Connie Hyde, Washington Elementary School Principal
Warren Peterson, CHS PrincipalAlso Present:Ken Scarbrough, SuperintendentGerard Sordelet, LIEC PresidentTara Graves, American Indian Education DirectorLeanne Schmidt, Education Minnesota-Cloquet RepresentativeStudent School Board Representatives Leah Boedigheimer and Gabe BergAbsent: Community Education Director Ruth Reeves and Churchill Elementary Principal David Wangen.
Copies of resolutions are on file in the Superintendent's Office.
APPROVAL OF BOARD AGENDARESOLVED by T. Lammi to approve the May 27, 2014 School Board Agenda. J. Crowley seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
APPROVAL OF BOARD MINUTESRESOLVED by D. Danielson to approve the May 12, 2014 school board minutes. D. Buytaert seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
WORLD'S BEST WORKFORCE PUBLIC HEARINGThe 2013 Minnesota Legislature passed what is referred to as "Striving for the World's Best Workforce" law - MS 120B.11. The legislation requires that school districts develop a strategic plan that will do the following:1. Close the achievement/opportunity gaps among all identified "subgroups."2. Assure that all students are ready for kindergarten.3. Assure that all students achieve grade level literacy by third grade.4. Assure that all students attain career and college readiness before graduation from high school.5. Assure that all students graduate from high school.
Superintendent Ken Scarbrough presented a draft of the Cloquet School District's District Strategic Plan to Support Teaching and Learning Aligned with Creating the World's Best Workforce (WBWF), which shows that many of the programs in our schools and measurements we make already relate to the requirements. A worksheet was distributed to community members, school board members, and staff present at the hearing that asks for suggestions for Cloquet School District's Mission to Strive for the World's Best Workforce. Everyone was asked to provide any suggestions/comments for all five identified "subgroups." Work will continue on gathering information for the district's WBWF plan before it is submitted to the state.
OPEN FORUMStudent School Board Representatives Leah Boedigheimer and Gabe Berg were presented with Certificates of Participation on behalf of the administration and Cloquet School Board. The Board wished them well in their continued educational careers.
Building reports were provided by the principals, Community Education Director, the LIEC President, Student School Board Representatives, and Education Minnesota - Cloquet representative.
Report on Summer Custodial Projects - Buildings & Grounds Director Keith Marti provided a summary of custodial/maintenance projects that are scheduled to be completed over the summer months. Additional information on summer cleaning hours will be provided at the next board meeting.
WIRE TRANSFERRESOLVED by D. Danielson to approve the $1,350,000.00 wire transfer of May 15, 2014. D. Battaglia seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
CONSENT ITEMSRESOLVED by T. Lammi to approve the following Consent Items, as presented:1. Accept the letter of retirement from Mary Carrier, Head Secretary at Cloquet Middle School, effective October 31, 2014, and wishing her well in her future retirement endeavors.
2. Accept the letter of resignation from Erin Tomche, 1.5 Hours/Day Non-Union Aide at Churchill Elementary School, effective May 30, 2014.
3. Accept the letter of resignation from Beau Whelan, 6.5 Hours/Day American Indian Academic Tutor at Cloquet Middle School, effective June 3, 2014.
4. Approve the following internal transfers and posting of positions:NAME; POSITION; LOCATION; EFFECTIVE DATEAngela Garbett; 1.0 FTE EBD Teacher; Middle School; 2014-2015 School YearTracy Mattson; 1.0 FTE 4th Grade Teacher; Washington Elementary School; 2014-2015 School YearKim Broman; 1.0 FTE 2nd Grade Teacher; Washington Elementary School; 2014-2015 School YearMary Cook; 1.0 FTE 4th Grade Teacher; Washington Elementary School; 2014-2015 School YearNicole Ojanen; Increase of .4 FTE for a Total 1.0 FTE Science Teacher - Total Salary is $45,791.00; CAAEP; 2014-2015 School YearRyan Zimny; 6th Period Stipend - Science; Cloquet High School; $4,000; 2014-2015 School YearDebra Mikkola; 6th Period Stipend - Science; Cloquet High School; $4,000; 2014-2015 School Year
Permission to Post Due to Internal Transfers:1.0 FTE LD Teacher at Cloquet Middle School1.0 FTE 4th Grade Teacher at Washington Elementary School1.0 FTE Setting IV Elementary EBD Teacher at Washington Elementary School1.0 FTE 5th Grade Teacher at Washington Elementary School
5. Employment recommendations:NAME; POSITION SALARY; LOCATION; EFFECTIVE DATELaura Kotsmith; .8 FTE Art Teacher; $35,138.41; CAAEP; August 21, 2014
6. Approve the Amended Cloquet High School Extra-Services Contracts for the following staff:Bret Baker, National Honor Society Co-Advisor at 25% ($480) for the 2014-2015 School Year.Robin Anderson, National Honor Society Co-Advisor at 75% ($1440) for the 2014-2015 School Year.
7. Approve posting for a 6.5 Hours/Day Language Interpreter due to a student's need for language assistance for the 2014-2015 school year at Churchill Elementary School.
8. Approve the ESY Budget and Staffing recommendations for the summer 2014 Extended School Year (ESY) program.
9. Approve the terminations of the following non-union aide positions, effective June 3, 2014:Churchill Elementary SchoolAnne McBride, 1.5 Hours/Day Playground AideSarah Goebel, 1.33 Hours/Day ASD AideErin Tomsche, 1.5 Hours/Day Playground AideWashington Elementary SchoolPaula Boedigheimer, 2.75 Hours/Day Lunchroom/Playground Aide
10. Approve the following extra-services contracts for the 2014-2015 School Year:Debra Peterson; Gifted/Talented Coordinator; $14,385.30; September 3, 2014 - June 4, 2015Stephanie Gibson; Special Education Coordinator; $3,875.20; September 2, 2014 - June 4, 2015Sue Zmyslony; Special Education Coordination Services; $3,719.80; September 2, 2014 - June 4, 2015Jody Zeleznikar; MNCIMP/Special Education Coordinator; $3,719.80; September 2, 2014 - June 4, 2015
11. Approve the additional hours for Denise Risberg, LPN at Cloquet Middle School to include the 16.5 in-service days and working all day on Wednesdays for the 2014-2015 school year, beginning on September 3, 2014. The cost for this extra time is $2,434.77, plus fringes. The reason for this increase is to facilitate MA billing.
D. Danielson seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
OLD BUSINESSThere was no old business to discuss at this time.
SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORTSuperintendent Ken Scarbrough asked that the Board members read through the World's Best Workforce Plan as he will be asking for their approval of the plan at the June 9, 2014 meeting.
SCHOOL BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTSThe Student Enrollment Report as of May 7, 2014 was presented for review.
NEW BUSINESSRESOLVED by D. Buytaert to approve the Notice of Desire to Desire to Negotiate with the Cloquet Non-Certified Administrative Support Association, with negotiations meetings to be scheduled in the near future. T. Lammi seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
RESOLVED by D. Danielson to approve the AFSCME Council No. 65 - Paraprofessional Employees Agreement for the time period July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014, as presented. D. Battaglia seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
RESOLVED by D. Battaglia to approve the increase of $.10 cents in meal pricing for the 2014-2015 school year. J. Crowley seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call. Meal prices can be found on the District's website at www.cloquet.k12.mn.us.
RESOLVED by D. Buytaert to approve the Application for Dissolution of Cooperative Sponsorship for boys' Tennis with Cloquet High School, Esko High School, and Carlton High School, beginning with the 2014-2015 school year. T. Lammi seconded the motion and the resolution was adopted by unanimous yea vote of all members present on roll call.
OTHERSuperintendent Ken Scarbrough asked for school board members who would be willing to serve on the Negotiations Team for the Non-Certified Administrative Support Association. Board members Ted Lammi, Jim Crowley, and Duane Buytaert agreed to serve on this committee.
UPCOMING EVENTS1. Spring Powwow CelebrationThursday, May 29th, 4:30 p.m., Cloquet High School Gymnasium2. Class of 2014 Graduation CeremoniesFriday, May 30th at 7:30 p.m., Northwood's Area Credit Union Arena3. Last Day of School (K-12)Tuesday, June 3rd (Early Dismissal)4. Cloquet Area Alternative Education Programs (CAAEP) Principal Tours/InterviewsThursday, June 5th, 4:00 p.m., Garfield School/Board Room
FOR YOUR INFORMATION1. 2014 Summer School Board Meeting Dates2. 2014 District-wide Summer Office Hours
ADJOURNMENTBoard Chair G. Huard adjourned the regular meeting at 6:56 p.m., and stated the Board would be going into a Closed Session to discuss exclusion of a Middle School student.
RECONVENE INTO OPEN MEETINGThe regular meeting was reconvened at 7:31 p.m.
REPORT ON CLOSED SESSIONSuperintendent Ken Scarbrough reported the Board discussed the possible exclusion of a Middle School student in the closed session.
Board Member T. Lammi made a motion to exclude Student #052714 to the end of the 2013-2014 school year for violation of the Weapon's Policy. D. Buytaert seconded the motion and it was unanimously approved by all members present on roll call.
ADJOURNMENTThere being no further business to discuss, Board Chair G. Huard adjourned the meeting at 7:32 p.m.
Clerk of the School BoardATTEST:Chair of the School Board