FARMERS MARKET NEWS: Turn kale into delicious chips
By Roberta Follett and Elise Rieschl
Our first three Saturday market mornings brought rain, rain, and more rain, but like the U.S. Postal Service we’re open for business rain or shine! We thank our customers for braving the weather too.
This weekend you’ll be able to find a variety of food items that would be delicious additions to your breakfast table: farm fresh eggs, breads, sweet rolls, jams and jellies, green onions and a variety of herbs. Produce, such as rhubarb, radishes, kale, lettuce, and green beans, are beginning to trickle in as well.
Today’s featured recipe is Kale Chips. It’s a healthy chip alternative and easy to prepare.
Kale Chips (1-2 servings)
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Clean a half bunch of kale — remove stems; break into large pieces; wash and thoroughly dry
4. Place kale leaves in large bowl and toss with ½ Tbsp. olive oil or melted coconut oil.
5. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, 1 tsp. garlic powder, ½ tsp. onion powder, ½ tsp. ground chipotle chile pepper, and ¼ tsp. sea salt (or your favorite seasonings) and toss.
6. Layer pieces of seasoned kale one chip deep to cover surface of parchment paper.
7. Place pan in oven and bake for 10 minutes. Rotate pan and bake 12 to 15 more minutes.
8. Remove pan from oven and cool kale chips 3 minutes.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Find this recipe on our website at http://sites.google.com/site/carltoncountyfarmersmarket or through our Facebook link. Another new recipe on our website is Blueberry-Rhubarb Pie. If you have a recipe you would like to share, drop it off at the market information booth.
We look forward to seeing you and the sunshine Saturday morning!