Summer is in full swing and change is in the air at Volunteer Services of Carlton County! We will sadly say goodbye to Bernadine Atchison as she returns to Alaska to be with family and grandchildren, and welcoming Cathy Niemi as the new director of the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). Cathy is looking forward to sharing community events that affect, empower, or assist older adults. Feel free to drop in and say hi, or if you have any questions you can contact her at 218-879-9238.
Carlton County Council on Aging is sponsoring a presentation from 9-10:30 a.m. Monday, July 28, at Volunteer Services of Carlton County, 199 Chestnut Ave., Ste. 3, in Carlton, located across from the VFW. Parking is available in the VFW parking lot. The guest speaker will be Kristin Parendo, managing attorney for the Senior Citizens’ Law Project. She will present a free Q-and-A session on senior legal issues, such as planning for incapacity, paying for long-term care, and addressing questions the audience may have. There is no age limit for those who want to attend. The information is for all to learn from and to share. For more details, contact Cathy at 218-879-9238.
Powerful Tools for Caregivers
Arrowhead Area Agency on Aging is seeking volunteers to become trained leaders in the Powerful Tools for Caregivers program, an educational program that helps family caregivers of older adults build the skills needed to take better care of themselves as they provide care for others.
As a leader you will receive 16 hours of classroom learning. The next two-day training class for leaders will be held Aug. 11-12, in Duluth. Registrations will be accepted through Aug. 4. For registration information, please contact Debra Laine at email@example.com or 218-529-7534.
Volunteer opportunities through RSVP
• Assisted Living
Facilities — Volunteers or a family are needed who enjoy any of these activities: reading, playing games, walking, making crafts, or other activities. Time is flexible 30 minutes to an hour, every day, once a week, or once a month.
• All We Can Be Child Development Center — Volunteers are needed to work with children up to Pre-K, Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., in Cloquet. Jobs are helping with lunch set-up and clean-up, reading stories to the children, and doing quiet activities. Lunch is provided.
• Chore Services — Volunteers are needed who are interested in doing house cleaning, home maintenance, or odd jobs. Location is Carlton County and Duluth.
• Drivers — Volunteers are needed for transporting individuals to medical appointments, grocery shopping, and other personal business. Time is flexible, seven days per week. Mileage reimbursement is available.
• Horse Feeder, Leaders and Side-Walkers — North Country RIDE needs a backup feeder for occasional mornings or weekends. Must like horses. Time commitment is one hour. Leaders and side-walkers are needed daily from July 21 to Aug. 29.
• Meals on Wheels — Drivers for Cloquet and Moose Lake are needed to deliver meals to homebound seniors in the Carlton County area. Days are flexible, Monday through Friday, from 10:30-11:30 a.m.
• DayBreak Respite Volunteer — Volunteers are needed to help with the DayBreak Respite program, which provides a much needed break to caregivers who take care of their loved one with memory issues. They meet Mondays in Carlton and Thursdays in Cloquet from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., enjoying fellowship and activities together.
If interested in volunteering, please call Volunteer Services and ask for Cathy Niemi, RSVP director, at 218-879-9238.