Cloquet man sentenced to 45 months for assault
The second of three men who broke into a Cloquet apartment and assaulted, robbed and threatened the residents has been sentenced to nearly four years in prison.
Waylon James Bosto Jr., 23, of Cloquet pleaded guilty to one count of second-degree assault on Aug. 6. Two counts of first-degree burglary, one count of first-degree aggravated robbery, one count of first-degree assault, and a second count of second-degree assault were dismissed as part of a plea bargain.
While awaiting his sentencing date, Bosto reportedly started causing problems at the jail, according to Assistant Carlton County Attorney Mike Boese, getting into altercations with other inmates and causing damage to the facility. Because of his behavior, Boese said Bosto was considered a candidate for an “interim commit,” where he would be sent to prison during the time he was awaiting sentencing and then transported back to Carlton County for his sentencing date.
Boese said Bosto waived that right, however, and asked to be sentenced right away.
Boese explained that while Bosto was previously in prison in 2010 for a first-degree robbery charge in Stearns County, he claims to have joined Native Style, a Native American gang operating inside the Minnesota Department of Corrections prison system.
When he was released on parole in 2013, he subsequently stole a car and was apprehended and convicted for that offense. He then served out his stayed supervised release period and executed time locally for that conviction as well.
Bosto had accrued 4.5 criminal points by the time of the Cloquet incident.
According to the complaint filed in the Cloquet case, Cloquet police officers responded to the report of an assault in the 400 block of Eighth Street at approximately 2:30 p.m. on May 23, where the two people living at the address claimed three men they knew (later identified as Bosto, 17-year-old Skylar Roy Hakala of Cromwell and 20-year-old Damien Richard Fairbanks of Cloquet) had broken into their apartment and threatened them and their young infant. Reportedly, the intruders had broken into the victims’ apartment wearing masks and wielding a metal baseball bat and metal rod.
During the assault that followed, the male victim was allegedly struck on the head multiple times by Bosto and then knocked unconscious, falling back onto a couch where he began to convulse and chew on his tongue, injuring it severely. Officers noted he had extensive injuries to his torso and head, as though he had been beaten by an object or weapon.
Bosto and Hakala then reportedly demanded money from the female resident as she held her young infant in her arms, taking all the money she had, which amounted to some $80.
While Fairbanks guarded the door, Bosto and Hakala then allegedly ransacked the apartment, breaking many items and stealing approximately $3,000 worth of electronic equipment and other items before fleeing the scene and later being apprehended by authorities.
Hakala pleaded guilty to two felony counts of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon after being certified as an adult in Carlton County Court, and charges of first-degree burglary, first-degree assault, first-degree aggravated robbery, and first-degree assault resulting in great bodily harm were dismissed as part of the plea agreement.
Hakala was sentenced to 36 months and 42 months in prison on the two counts, to be served concurrently, which was stayed for five years and he was given credit for the time he had already served as a juvenile. He was then ordered to serve one year in local confinement.
Fairbanks faces two counts of aiding and abetting second-degree assault, two counts of aiding and abetting first-degree burglary, one count of aiding and abetting first-degree aggravated robbery and one count of aiding and abetting first-degree assault. His settlement conference is set for Sept. 15.