Cloquet man faces charges for brutally assaulting, robbing victim
A Cloquet man remains behind bars on $75,000 bail after being charged with two felony counts of first-degree burglary, one felony count of first-degree aggravated robbery, one felony count of first-degree assault and one felony count of second-degree assault. A juvenile and at least one other suspect have also been implicated in the incident.
Waylon James Bosto Jr., 22, appeared on the charges before Judge Robert Macaulay last Friday in Carlton County Court. At that time, Macaulay granted Bosto’s request for a public defender and set bail at $75,000 bond or $7,500 cash. He remained in custody at the time this issue of the Pine Journal went to press.
According to Carlton County Attorney Thom Pertler, a 17-year-old juvenile also facing charges in the case was slated to make a court appearance on Tuesday, adding that his office is looking at a motion to certify him as an adult. A certification study has been ordered and must be completed by probation by June 27. He said the juvenile remains at the Arrowhead Juvenile Center and will have his next court hearing on June 9.
Also, Pertler said his office is expecting some additional investigative reports that could shed light on potential new defendants in the case as well.
According to the complaint filed in the case, Cloquet Police officers responded to the report of an assault in the 400 block of 8th Street at approximately 2:30 p.m. on May 23. Two people at the address claimed that two men they knew had broken into their apartment and threatened them and their young infant. Reportedly, the intruders had broken into the victims’ apartment wearing masks and wielding a metal baseball bat and metal rod.
During the assault that followed, one of the victims was able to remove the mask from one of the men and identified him as Bosto. They subsequently recognized one of the other intruders, the 17-year-old juvenile male, after identifying his voice and clothing, since they said he and Bosto had been at their apartment within the past couple of days and the juvenile had been wearing the same clothing at that time. A third intruder reportedly stood back by the door, but the victims stated they could not identify him.
During the assault, the male victim was allegedly struck on the head multiple times and then knocked unconscious, falling back onto a couch where he began to convulse and chew on his tongue, injuring it severely. Officers noted he had extensive injuries to his torso and head, as though he had been beaten by an object or weapon.
Bosto and the others then reportedly turned their attention to the female victim and the young infant she was holding. The defendants allegedly demanded all the money she had, which amounted to some $80.
Bosto and the other intruders then ransacked the apartment, breaking many items and stealing approximately $3,000 worth of electronic equipment and other items.
The intruders then fled the scene and a warrant was issued for their arrest.
The male victim was transported to Community Memorial Hospital for assessment of his injuries and later transferred to Essentia/St. Mary’s in Duluth.
Bosto is set for an initial appearance/Rule 8 hearing at 9 a.m. on June 9.